lunedì 7 aprile 2014

LEARN ENGLISH WITH VIDEOGAMES, PART 1

Hello guys , how you doing ?
I hope you are making progress following my advices , today I will talking about one other fun way to learn english, which I think is not enough argued , at least not how it deserves. You should know that among all my methods for learn english , my favourite is play Videogames. I bet now , you are thinking " what the hell you are talking about " ? or " how I could learn english by Videogame ? " Ok, let me explain , first and foremost if you not have read my post about movies , I suggest you to do it , because almost work at the same way , ( read here ), then you can use also Videogame for train your listening skills. If you like play videogame and you want improve your english , you are lucky , it's not important with which console you play , sony playstation , microsoft xbox or ever Personal Computer , doesn't matter , even you could use a little device like a phone or a portable console, albeit in my
opinion with a big one will work better , let me explain how I did step by step. I settled my console in english language , I had explained the importance about do it in one post , ( read here ) , because make a habit about have every devices in english is a simply tricks that seem useless in the beginning but could do a difference in the long term, after I started to play in this way :

 1 Play in english voice and with my native language subtitles ( Italian ) In this phase you train your listening skills hearing the characters of your videogames talk in english in the various cut scenes or also in game , but because you are a beginner you can't understand without subtitles , and because also your reading skills are at beginner level and subtitles go fast during a cut scenes, you can't understand if you settle also the sub in english , so at this stage is require that you put the subtitles in your native language, this allow you to understand well what the characters are saying, the improvements come from associate what you are hearing in english with what you are reading in your native language, so you start to learn what some english terms mean, also if sometime is impossibile translate perfectly because every language is not only a different way to speak but also a different way to think.

 2 Play with english voice and english subtitle In this phase your ears start to be well trained , and because also your reading skills start to be sufficient, you should be able to read enough fast english subtitle in order to understand. But if you realize that it's too soon for you , stick with the phase one for a little more time and shift to phase two when you feel ready.

 3 Play with english voice without any subtitle Nothing to say here , at this stage your listening skills are so good that you don't need of any subtitle. Yep , is the same way that I used with movies , as simple as effective. You can easily change the languages voice and subtitle of a Videogame in the main menù. Above , you can see a perfect example of cut scenes with english voice and english subtitles , phase two. Albeit when you play with Videogame, the cutscenes time are the best for learn , because it's like watching a movie , the immersion in english continues also in gaming. To be continued....

SEE ALSO  :  THE AMERICAN ACCENT

2 commenti:

  1. Yorkshire has really lovely countryside and very friendly people. You should go there.!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Of course , one of my language partners on skype lives over there , I'd like visit it in the future.

    RispondiElimina