mercoledì 4 giugno 2014

SLANG TOP TEN 2014

Today I wanna do a list about the more interesting slang that I have met this year  so far , it's impressive how many words, slang and idioms english contains , I never stop to learning , anyway let's take a look at my list , I tried to gather those that in my opinion are more useful in real life conversation :

10  TAKE A STAB        

This slang mean try to do something , for example , you are talking about surf with your best friend but you never surfing before , so you can say at him , " I never surfing before but I wanna take a stab about it "


9    TO BE DOWN

This mean that you are very sad at the moment , you not are in good mood, for example, you can say,  " I'm down today because I not passed the exam "

8    TO CHEER UP

This one mean try to recover your good mood,  for example , your friend is down because yesterday had known that him not passed the exam , so you can say , " C'mon man , cheer up ,
nothing of so terrible happened, you can retry the next year "

7   WHAT'S UP

This is very famous and can have many meaning , you can use it for say  " how are you " , American people do it a lot , but can mean also   " what happen ? "

6   TO BE ON THE SAME PAGE

This mean that you agree about what a person are talking about , you have the same way to thinking about a particular topic.

5   TO BE UP FOR SOMETHING

This one mean that you wanna do something , for example if you want ask at your friend if him want to go out tonight, you can say " are you up for go out tonight  ? "

4   TO PULL AN ALL NIGHTER

If yesterday you are been awake for all the night for do something, maybe for study , you can say
" yesterday I pulled an all nighter for study "


3   A ROCKY START        

This mean that an event started in very bad way, for example , " I started my trip for Florence on the 19 july , but after two minutes of driving , I realized that one tire of my car was drilled  , was been a rocky start "

2   TO PULL OFF SOMETHING

This one mean try to do something and have good result , for example " only you could pull off that " , but I have heard American people use it in other different examples , like  " it's a very difficult thing to pull off "


1   THROW A MONKEY WRENCH          

And we are arrived at my favourite one of this year , throw a monkey wrench mean sabotage  something or ruin the plans of somebody, it's avery long slang , but it's very funny.
You can say for example , " I wanted win the match , but looking like the bad luck thrown me a monkey wrench in my plans "


Hoping to have been useful for you, see you soon.....


SEE ALSO : THE AMERICAN ACCENT COURSE

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento